Friday, December 17, 2010

Baby it's cold outside!

Brassia Rex 'Sakata'

It's in the 20's right now outside way to cold for orchids out there. That's why I grow in a lighted and heated greenhouse. Got several Brassias and Brassia hybrids in bloom and in bud. I am very pleased with the flower show these guys put out several times per year. Relatively easy to grow, will tolerate a range of growing conditions. I have an intermediate to warm greenhouse temperature range with micro climes from the floor (cool) to the roof (warmer).
Above is a Brassia Rex hybrid called Sakata. It has a wonderful spicy fragrance with 12 flowers on this spike. Each flower is about 6" top to bottom. I like the way they seem to be marching down the spike. I can see why they are commonly called spider orchids. Nice spiked petals that look like spider legs.
This plant flowers for me at least twice a year on new growth. Usually summer/winter for my growing conditions.



Miltassia Kauai's Choice 'Tropical Fragrance'

The above plant is a cross between (Brassia arcuigera x Miltassia Astec). This one has been in flower since October. Had three spikes and this is the last to flower. I really like the extra maroon barring and spots on the petals. The plant had over 40 flowers on the three spikes. I grow it intermediate and keep it moist but not wet. Light levels are bright shade under my high intensity sodium lights. Night temps go to 55 and day up to 65 degrees F.



Odontobrassia Fangtastic Bob Henley

More inter generic crossing going on here. Kept the spider look of the Brassia but with more spotting and barring on the petals. 45 flowers on three spikes marching along. Very handsome plant in flower. Spikes are at least two feet and have 14 to 16 flowers. Has flowered twice a year for me, also on new growth. Re-potted it this spring and put it outside for the summer. It put on 3 new growths each putting up a flower spike. Some times the seudobulbs will have two spikes. If not they will some times put one out later in the spring. That may be due to the inter generic crossing messing with bloom times. All in all if you have the space and the cultural conditions a great plant to have.

Aliceara Memorial Jay Yamada 'Kauai'
Another inter generic cross with more color and wider sepals and petals. Aliceara is a cross between the following; Brassia/Miltonia/Oncidium. I have seen this called Degarmoarara. They keep changing the names to keep us on our toes.  So far for me not as many flowers per spike but this is a young plant. It might put out more flowers as it matures. Still retains the spikeyness of the flower. Grown the same as the above plants. Also re-potted this past spring.

 Brassia Rex 'Okika'
This one has much larger flowers (12") than Sakata and is generally a larger plant altogether. The flowers (7) on this spike are all jumbled and not their usual marching row because I moved the plant and the light direction was changed. My fault not the plant. Has a spicy fragrance during the day.

Well that is my set on Brassia and Brassia crosses that I have in flower today.

No comments:

Post a Comment